History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Revealed: Part Two

To read the first part, click HERE.


"Trevor, it has been a long time," Mykola said. He twirled the sash of his coat and moved towards the time traveler and his daughter. Dominik stood where he was, watching the confrontation.
Trevor shrunk back, putting his hand out and pushing Marin behind him. "Mykola, whatever you've done to drag me here, undo it right now!" Trevor's eyes were wide and huge, his brown eyes like that of a cow about to be shoved into the slaughter house. Marin looked from Mykola to Trevor, her own expression one of terror and uncertainty. She cast a somewhat curious glance towards Dominik, but returned her gaze towards the Ukrainian as he spoke once more.
"You're not in a position to give me orders, Trevor," Mykola mocked. He stopped in front of Marin and grinned. "And this must be the little girl you adopted, Elizaveta."
Trevor pushed her back farther. "You leave her out of this, Mykola. This is between you and me."
"What is, Trevor?" Marin whimpered.
"Why, he hasn't told you about me?" Mykola laughed like a Cheshire cat. "I'm surprised, Trevor. You never could keep your mouth shut. Where did you find the self-will to not speak of our friendship?"
Dominik looked on, taking in the scene before him. This didn't seem right. He hadn't been able to figure out what this Scotsman and his daughter had done wrong. Mykola had insisted they were meddlers, troublemakers and obstructed the cause of Communism. But all Dominik could see before him was a frightened little girl and a very confused and scared young man. Mr. Trevor Trekker didn't look like he was much older than him, perhaps only a couple of years older. The girl he presumed to be eleven or so. He couldn't keep his eyes off of her. There was something about her, it was so familiar. She was like a long lost memory or dream- he knew she was important to him somehow but he couldn't remember why.
Dominik turned his mind back to the conversation at hand as Mykola withdrew a gun. "Now Trevor," he was saying, "I would very much appreciate it if you'd hand over your time traveling contraption. I need it for my own machine."
"Your own time machine?" Trevor repeated. "Since when did you know a thing about inventing?"
"I'm not stupid," the blond man retorted. He kept the gun trained on Trevor as he reached over and unclipped the wristwatch. Trevor glared at him. "I've spent thirteen years on research of computer engineering, computer science and mechanical engineering. I recreated several components of your watch from memory. You do of course recall how eager you were to show me how every part of the watch worked."
Trevor did a face palm. "That was dumb of me," he groaned.
"Yes, indeed. But when it comes to things outside of your expertise, you were never very good at discernment or analyzing." Mykola turned towards Marin once more. "Really, dear, he hasn't told you about me?"
She shook her head no.
"Mykola, I mean it, just leave her out of it," Trevor begged. "She has no idea what's going on here."
"Why do you think I have bad intent for you?"
"You can't have good intent, not the way you've been grinning and acting for the past ten minutes."
Smart answer, Dominik thought. He shifted his weight and glanced out the window uncomfortably. The Ukrainian said he'd send Dominik back once this was other. He wanted to go home. His regiment needed him. He didn't want to wait around much longer.
"True," Mykola mused. He pocketed the gun and began to twirl the wristwatch in front of Trevor. "But your daughter happens to be one of the better links to getting you to do what I want. You're not as likely to help me with my project unless I have her here for, shall I say, a certain amount of leverage?"
Marin shuddered and backed up a step. Trevor now fully stepped in front of her. "She's a kid, Mykola. I thought you said once that you'd never hurt a kid."
The look that crossed Mykola's face was enough to make even Dominik shudder. He stepped towards Trevor, facing him off. They were about the same height and build, their biggest difference being in hair and eye color.
"I lost my convictions the day I lost everything, Trevor," Mykola growled. "You were with me, remember? You and your stupid little time wristwatch where standing next to me when it happened. Do you remember?"
"How could I forget, Mykola. I never forgot."
The Scotsman's eyes glistened with what Dominik assumed were tears. An uneasy feeling crept over him. What if I was wrong? What if Mykola isn't the good guy he's portrayed himself to be? What if he'd just signed a death warrant for an innocent man and girl?
"And what did you do about it, Trevor?" Mykola hissed. "What did you do about it?"
"Mykola, I tried!" Trevor wailed. "I tried time and time again to change what happened. I traveled back to that day over a hundred times! I couldn't change what happened- it's against time travel rules!"
"Ah yes, you claim that God prevents you from changing people's fate," Mykola retorted.
"It's true. I can't save people from dying. I can't change what God's already ordained. He has a purpose and a reason for calling different people to leave the world. I tried. Believe me, I tried."
Mykola snorted. He whirled around and faced Dominik. "Dominik, I will have to retain you a bit longer. I'm going to need your help keeping an eye on your sister."
Dominik stared at him, blank faced. "I don't have a sister."
At this, Mykola's face broke into a sly and all knowing smile. "Ah, but you do. Didn't you know? Did you really think I picked you for this assignment because you were extraordinary? No, I didn't. I picked you for one simple reason."
Mykola glanced over his shoulder at Trevor and Marin. "Elizaveta, does this man look familiar to you?"
Marin looked over at Dominik once more. She was on the verge of tears as she clutched Trevor's arm. Their eyes met- and Dominik sucked in a breath. It can't be.
"He saved me from- from the Nazis," she stammered.
"I think you know what I mean, m'dear," Mykola pushed.
"Leave her alone, Mykola," Trevor growled.
"Come, come, Eli. Tell me, what is the first thing you think of when you see Dominik?"
She glanced at him again. "He looks like my Dad."
"Who was your father?"
"Kostya Maklakov."
Kostya... It couldn't be. He didn't have siblings. At least he hadn't known he had siblings. He'd never thought about it. And this girl standing in front of him was his sister? 
"Ring a bell, Dominik?"
Dominik scarcely nodded.
Trevor blinked. "Wait, Marin has a brother?"
"Drop the time lag, Trevor and catch up with the times," Mykola said sarcastically. He turned and put his hand on a lever, still twirling the watch. "And speaking of which, it's time for us to see how well your components will match with mine. I believe your watch has what I need to connect with my machine and finally be able to transport myself back in time." He paused, then expertly began to turn the dials of the watch  to a set date and time. "If I set your watch I should be able to piggyback on it with my machine and transport myself to wherever I want to go." He smiled. "How about it Trevor? Just like old times? Why don't we go visit the first place you took me with 4T?"
"You have what you want, Mykola, let Marin and me go," Trevor snapped.
"On the contrary. What I want is to fix what you've destroyed. And to do that I'm going to need your help, which is the only reason I've left you alive. Now, let's see if my calculations were correct and if I can set my machine up to pick up our body temperatures to transport us... here we go!"
The next instant the small living room was empty, and the computer flashed a number on the screen. 1863.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! Now this is getting interesting! Can't wait for the next part! (there IS a next part right?)
    Too bad you didn't reach 10,000 "Pageviews" by yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I defiantly can't wait till the next part!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment!