History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Trail Blazers: The Oregon Trail

There is a very popular game that many homeschoolers I've met played when they were young. Titled The Oregon Trail, the game consisted of going down the trail, doing your best to survive plagues, sickness, disease, attacks and getting lost in the middle of nowhere. It was a fun game, and very educational, too.
Unlike the game (for those of you who are familiar with it) there is no "reset" button. If you died that was it, everyone moved on without you. I'm sure you know this, but think about it for a moment. You leave everything you know and love. You realize that those you leave behind in the Eastern cities of America you'll probably never see again. You may not even survive the trip. Many don't, and you hear about the dangers of Indians and cholera. Why then, would you leave your home, your friends and go on a journey that a lot of people die trying?
Because there's something about the promise of new land, a bold adventure and a new life that draws certain people to try and conquer. Kinda like that saying, "I climb the mountain because it's there."
The Oregon Trail got it's first start in 1811, by fur trappers and traders who would travel to the Western united states to gain their fortune. For the most part, the only fur trappers who had spent any amount of time in the now present states of Alaska, Washington, Oregon and California were the Russians. For years the Russians had the largest supply of fur in the world, most notably getting their furs from Siberia and Alaska. They ventured into the Western states as well, trading with the Indians for the valuable furs. The business was good and it brought many other trappers from the Eastern states as well.
At first, the only way to get to the Western states was to ride on horseback or travel on foot. It wasn't until 1836 that the first wagon train started it's journey from Independence, Missouri, on a trail that had been cleared for wagons. Even then the route was still fairly dangerous.

From Wikipedia:


From the early to mid-1830s (and particularly through the epoch years, 1846–1869) the Oregon Trail and its many offshoots were used by about 400,000 settlers, ranchers, farmers, miners, and businessmen and their families. The eastern half of the trail was also used by travelers on the California Trail (from 1843), Bozeman Trail (from 1863), and Mormon Trail (from 1847) before turning off to their separate destinations. Use of the trail declined as the first transcontinental railroad was completed in 1869, making the trip west substantially faster, cheaper, and safer. Today, modern highways such as Interstate 80 follow the same course westward and pass through towns originally established to serve those using the Oregon Trail.


So as you can see, the Oregon Trail didn't only lead to just Oregon, it had separate branches that could bring people to Utah, California and Washington, as well as Idaho.
Many of the people who live in these states today are descendants of these brave pioneers, who often faced things like thunderstorms, hail storms, stampedes, and all kinds of scary accidents.

A good website to look at is the http://www.oregontrailcenter.org/ which gives lots of references and statistics as well as the history of the Oregon trail for those who want to know more about it. According to their site, they proclaim that the leading cause of death was getting run over by the wagons.

Oregon Trail Center:
Major threats to pioneer life and limb came from accidents, exhaustion, and disease. Crossing rivers were probably the most dangerous thing pioneers did. Swollen rivers could tip over and drown both people and oxen. Such accidents could cause the loss of life and most or all of valuable supplies. Animals could panic when wading through deep, swift water, causing wagons to overturn. Animals could cause very serious injury to their owners. People could be crushed by wagons or animals, thrown by horses.  
According to Peter D. Olch, being run over by wagon wheels was the most frequent cause of injury or death. Both children and adults could slip while getting out of a wagon and fall beneath the wheels. Children were especially susceptible to being run over by heavy wagons. Firearms were the second leading cause of emigrant injury and death and a surprisingly large number of pioneers were injured by accidental firearm discharges. The third cause was stampeding livestock. Other causes of injury or death included attacks by emigrants on other emigrants, lightning, hailstorms, grass-fires, gunpowder explosions, snakebite and suicide. Such diseases as cholera, small pox, flu, measles, mumps, tuberculosis could spread quickly through an entire wagon camp, killing several people.  Cholera was the main scourge of the trail.

Sounds pretty harsh, doesn't it? Makes you think twice about heading out on such a venture. And yet these people did it. Why? Why would they risk it? Because to them it was worth it. The idea of having their own place that wasn't crowded, living in a new land and creating their own rules gave people a new sense of freedom. Don't you like the idea of living in an area where you create your own rules, and you had as much land as you wanted to have the animals you wanted? It sounds kind of fun, doesn't it? That's the reason Marin and I moved to Hawaii, 12 A.D. So we could have the whole place to ourselves and have all the animals we wanted.

We can all learn something from the pioneers. Perseverance, determination and trust that God will get us through whatever we start can be seen in the lives of these trail blazers. I hope we all learn to be a bit more like them.

Little Known Fact: I'm sure we've all heard stories or seen movies about Indians attacking wagon trains, making off with children and shooting the men. Well, did you know that Indian Raids was the least cause of death on the Oregon Trail? Most of the Indians were fine with the wagon trains that moved through their territory. In fact, a lot of them traded buffalo robes and other items with the pioneers for things like knives, clothes and food. There were some instances where Indians did indeed attack the pioneers, but for the most part they were pretty good with all of the new settlers.

Today in History: Well, there doesn't seem to be much that went on today in history that has survived in the archives. The only thing we could find:

Henry J. Lutcher, American business partner and sawmill owner, died

Well, whoever Henry J. Lutcher was, we hoped he lived a good life!

Thanks to Oregon Trail Center and Wikipedia for provided some of the information used in this post.

Come back next week for some good reads on the Oregon Trail!

26 comments:

  1. Great! :D
    Yep, I know that game well... Used to play it all the time! :)
    That's some great information! Thanks Mister Trekker! :)
    I have a "Today in History" for you:
    In 1605, a man named "Guy Fawkes was betrayed and arrested in an attempt to blow up the British Parliament in the “Gunpowder Plot.”"
    In my school, (on my laptop) I have a daily "This Day in History", and thought that you might like knowing something else that happened today in history. :)
    Thanks again for the cool info! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megs, that's quite an interesting fact! We try to pick our "Day in History" according to what time period we're doing. So since we're doing the Oregon Trail, we tried to find a historical event that happened during the time of the Oregon Trail. It gets a little hard to find an exact date sometimes.
      Thanks for commenting. Glad you like the history posts.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. :)
      Opps, I should have known that... :P
      Oh yes! I LOVE all your history posts! :)
      I agree with Bethany Stelzl, this is absolutely hands down the best way to learn history!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Mr. Trekker. I love these history lessons. I have always enjoyed history but this is absolutely hands down the best way to learn it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Bethany, that's a very high complement to us. I'm so glad you're enjoying this blog, it makes us press on and want to deliver more history lessons for everyone.

      Delete
  3. Uhm... Trevor? You forgot to add photos to the history post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for a break. *Hits head on keyboard*. Sorry everyone I forgot the pictures, I've been very tired lately as I tackle my latest invention- unmeltable ice cream.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm you can send some of that my way ;)

      Delete
    3. Unmeltable ice cream? Hmm, how do you eat it if it doesn't melt? ;)

      Delete
    4. Hmm that's a good point Megs...

      Delete
    5. I've had unmeetable ice cream!
      It is called "space food". Not quite the same. If all food in space was like that, I would not want to be an astronaut (not that I want to be anyway)! :D
      If you haven't tried it, though, you should. Its neat. I actually was given a space ice cream sandwich. I think they freezer-dry the food.
      God bless!
      Ira-Grace
      P.S. I'm finally back!

      Delete
    6. Oh, the ice cream is just in little cubes (you can get it in Neopolitan, chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry, I believe). You just put it in your mouth, and it dissolves, or melts. Kind of like a foam.
      I.-G. W.

      Delete
    7. You mean someone has already invented this?? That I've wasted my time for nothing? AUGH! Why didn't ye tell me before I tried ta make it? How I'm without an invention to show fer me time... This is making my accent come out even in my writing. I'm so frustrated.

      Delete
    8. Don't worry Mister Trekker! I'm sure that if you figured out how to make it, yours would taste much better! :)
      I like it when you talk in your accent! ;)

      Delete
    9. Okay maybe I'll just stick with the meltable kind... it sounds like it tastes much better than the foamy stuff your talking about, unless of course Mr Trekker can come out with one that tastes better :)

      Delete
    10. Make un-meltable ice cream that is still "Wet", if that makes sense!
      Ira-Grace

      Delete
  4. I've played that game, The Oregon Trail! A long, long time ago...when I was about five. :) I remember being told by my older siblings not to use my real name because it was rather startling to be playing it and then suddenly "Dun-dun-dun...Rebekah Eddy dies of Scarlet Fever". It was kind of scary thinking about all the real pioneers had to go through. I love your posts too, and look forward each week to the next one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rebekah. I'm glad you like the posts. It's hard to tell if anyone reads these, as we get most of our comments on the story posts.

      Delete
    2. Haha, Rebekah Eddy, I used to play the game, too! Except we knew how to manipulate the game. ;) My sisters, brothers and I were rebels of sorts, whatever game we had we learned how to play, how to win, how to lose in every possible way and then how to manipulate it so we could do what we wanted. We got so good at it that when we "died" on the game, we could go back where we were before we died. Also, we liked to name the people on our wagons after characters from books, movies, etc. Also food. We had one wagon train with people named Pizza, Darth Vader, Indiana Jones, Peter Pan, Sherlock Holmes and Cookie. It was hilarious, we laughed so hard when someone on our wagon train died because it would say "Pizza died of cholera." We were very wild children. ;) Don't even get me started on how my sister made a million dollars on the trail by trading twenty-seven bullets for $999 dollars...

      Delete
  5. Today is a big day in Canadian history. 100 years since WW1, and 70 years since D-Day. I went to a ceremony today, and it was a wonderful experience (as usual). Inspiring. Loyalty, beauty, and courageous in the forces are wonderful to see. I am proud of my country. It is amazing the lives that have been given to the cause of liberty. My great grandfather fought in the Italian invasion (tank driver; he lied, and entered the forces a year too young). He paid with more than those years, though. In his last years, ridden with cancer, he had nightmares about the past. A soldier today at the service was a man from WW2, and he had lost his arm AND hearing after another previous injury to his leg. Yet he was smiling and waving to the audience. We definitely clapped for him! I am proud, and I wore my poppy for all those who died, as well as remembering my great grandfather, a war bride from WW2 with whom I was friends, and neighbours that fought (an old neighbour had been a cook!).
    Oh, to those of you who are NOT from Canada (poor you!!!), we Canadians wear poppies from November 1 to November 11th at the 11th hour as a sign of our remembrance. I don't think that they do that in the States, from what I know.
    Also, another Canadian note, is that three Mounties and two soldiers where killed this year, bringing Canadian sentiment for our forces to pretty much an all-time high (apparently).
    God bless our troops, soldiers, Mounties, and the families of the fallen. May God protect our land, freedom, and love of liberty.
    "Lest we forget". And I promise not to forget. Will you?
    "Oh, Canada, our home and native land,
    True patriot love in all thy sons command.
    With glowing hearts we see thee rise
    The true North strong and free.
    From far and wide, O, Canada,
    We stand on guard for Thee!
    God keep our land
    Glorious and free!
    O, Canada, we stand on guard for Thee!
    O, Canada, we stand on guard for Thee!"

    I can't put in all the verses here, but if you don't know them, look them up. They talk about the young men and women of Canada rising to protect her, and the lovely land in which we live ("where pines and maples grow, great praries spread, and lordly rivers flow!"). The final verse speaks of our "Ruler Supreme, Who hearest humble prayer".
    Pray for your country, whether it is Canada, the U.S.A., or otherwise. God will hear. "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem", the Bible says. That was to Jews. Still pray for Jerusalem, but also pray for your country. Will you endeavour to do that?
    God bless!
    Sorry if this has become nearly a sermon on how to be a patriotic member of your country, but this is a subject on which I feel strongly. I hope you do as well.
    God bless you, and your country, wherever you are. God bless Canada, and the veterans all over who are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. Death is worth it if death brings true life, for oppression of freedom is not true life (this is also true spiritually).
    Ira-Grace
    John 3:16

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't signed that above comment, would you still have know it was from me by the length (and content?)???
      Wondering as ever,
      Ira-Grace W.

      Delete
    2. Wow Ira-Grace, that's a lot to think about. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like Canada has quite the traditions.
      Marin and I love our Hawaii home- but since it's pretty much us who are living on it, we don't have a lot to protect or a government to revere. :)
      And yes, we would've guessed it was you by how long it was. And because it was about Canada again. :)

      Delete
  6. oh my gosh! I love the Oregon Trail Game! that ones a favorite for me for sure. even if I usually never made it to Oregon! lol :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment!