History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Oregon Reads: Books on the Oregon Trail

Here are some books we managed to find on the Oregon Trail, just for you!

Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie
 

By Kristiana Gregory
Aunt June "...confided to me that the way their brother Milton's coffin went sailing down the Missoura was 'Splendid! The best amusement in months.' Aunt June and I think alike." These words, from thirteen-year-old Hattie Campbell's journal entry for February 18, 1847, mark the beginning of her journey- an adventure that unfolds over the next ten months and two thousand miles. A sense of amusement, the ability to dream, and a chance to escape sad memories while building a new life motivate Hattie Campbell and her family as they set their sights on the acres of land available to daring settlers at the end of the Oregon Trail.
What we like about this book: There are several humorous moments that really lets the reader connect with Hattie, giving you a sense that she’s a real person. It makes the reading more personable, and no book should be without humor.
Age Range: 9-16
Audience: Girls, but we think Boys would like it, too
Cautions: It’s been several years since either Marin or I have read this book. We don’t quite remember what was all in it, so reader discretion advised. I do remember that Hattie could be quite naughty in what she wrote, so definitely it’s best for an older audience. We don’t remember anything inappropriate, but then again it’s been a while!
Era: 1847
Special Notes: None.




Seven Alone
By Honore Morrow

John Sager didn’t want to grow up. On his way out west with his six sibings and parents in a covered wagon, John tries to get out of chores in any way he can- from hiding to running away. But when tragedy strikes and their parents are killed, John must step-up as the adult of his family and get them across the Oregon Trail- without getting killed.
What we like about this book: This is a very good depiction of what life was like on the Oregon Trail. Detailed, thorough and thoughtful, if you want to know what life was like back then, read this book.
Age Range: 12 and up
Audience: Boys and Girls
Cautions: Though I’m ashamed to admit this, (Marin isn’t because she doesn’t even know what this book is about) I’ve never actually read the book. I watched the movie many years ago. The book was written in 1926, so as far as language and stuff I doubt that’s present. What I do know is that the descriptions could be quite graphic of what frostbite and other such trials were like. Not for the squeamish- again, I think reader discretion should be used when reading this book.
Era: 1844
Special Notes: None.



Captive Treasure
By Milly Howard
Traveling west across America with her family, Carrie Talbot enjoys all the excitement of the trail. But when a Cheyenne raiding party attacks the wagon train, Carrie is taken away to the Indians’ riverside camp, far from everyone she loves. In this Christian fiction book Carrie has only the family Bible and her faith in God to guide her through her struggles as she learns how to live with new people and understand a different language.
What we like about this book: This was one of the finest Christian Oregon Trail books Marin and I read. It has a great message, colorful characters and really involves the reader. Plus Carrie is such a sweet girl, who wouldn’t like her?
Age Range: 9 and up
Audience: Girls, but boys would enjoy it also
Cautions: None that we can remember! As always, readers should ask their parents what they think and follow their parents guidelines.
Era: mid-1850s

Special Notes: None.


Come back next week as we began a new adventure... on the Oregon Trail!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I love those diary books! I've read huge numbers of them. I have the one about Newfoundland fisheries, and the Prarie as Wide as a Sea one.
    Overall, I think my favourite diary one so far has been the one called "Bow Like the Willow Tree" about the Shakers. Wow! Was their religion ever mixed up! Some of the ones with the Indians, Spanish, and French use a huge amount of those words, so it can be confusing to read them.
    I have a book that might be about this subject, and that is good. I've got to see if it was about the Oregon trail!
    I"ll be back!
    Ira-Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the book is called Ransom's Mark. Not Oregon trail, exactly, but something like that. It is a Daughters of the Faith, or Sisters of the Faith book. It may be a bit mature of a book, though, because Olive's family is massacred. She and only one sister survive (that you know of at the time), and are kidnapped by the Indians. People starve to death, and there are unpleasant realities in it. It is a good book, but it talks about death quite a bit. They are Christians, though, so they know that their family is with Jesus!
      Oh, the "Ransom's mark" is tattoos that the tribe put on the girls. Interesting facts.
      God bless!
      Ira-Grace

      Delete
    2. Ira-Grace,
      I know what book you're talking about, Ransom's Mark. But Captive Treasure is also a book. I had to read it for school several years ago, and it was the exact same cover as the one Trevor shows us. I think there are two books about the same girl. And from what I recall, Captive Treasure didn't have a lot of talk about death, but I don't remember. Mom got rid of the book after the last kid finished that grade level. ;)

      Delete
  2. I've read a bit about John Sager in grade seven.The kids arrive at a fort where the,I think it was the Whitmans were living. I will have to see if the library has the book.

    --Eve
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr.Trekker is the movie seven alone good?
    That is all the library has.

    --Eve

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eve, the Dove Foundation gave the movie a rating of twelve and up. There are some sad things in it (obviously, the parents die) but it's a good film. I enjoyed it. Again, ask your parents what they think, but I do believe it's a very good movie.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, I've also seen Seven Alone. :)
      It's a good one, but naturally, like you said Mister Trekker, it is sad in some parts. I haven't seen it in quite awhile actually, but from what I can remember, it's a good one. :)
      Thanks for the great book (and movie) recommendations sir! :D

      Delete
  4. Thanks again for more great book recommendations Mr. Trekker. I'll be back next week for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    I've got my new website/blog up!
    It is called rainesreads.weebly.com.
    I hope you'll come see it!
    By the way, I STILL LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!
    Irrepressible Ira-Grace :D
    John 3:16

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment!