History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Battled Reads: Books on World War One

Ready for some more books? Hopefully you finished last month's books, because you'll have your hands full with these new additions!





Rilla of Ingleside
L.M. Montgomery

From the Anne of Green Gables series


Anne's children were almost grown up, except for pretty, high-spirited Rilla. No one could resist her bright hazel eyes and dazzling smile. Rilla, almost fifteen, can't think any further ahead than going to her very first dance at the Four Winds lighthouse and getting her first kiss from handsome Kenneth Ford. But undreamed-of challenges await the irrepressible Rilla when the world of Ingleside becomes endangered by a far-off war. Her brothers go off to fight, and Rilla brings home an orphaned newborn in a soup tureen. She is swept into a drama that tests her courage and leaves her changed forever.


What we like about this book: It’s from the Anne of Green Gables series, it’s about another rambunctious girl and it covers World War One history. What’s not to like?

Audience: girls

Age range: eleven and up





The Night Flyers

Elizabeth McDavid Jones

In 1918, caring for her family's homing pigeons while her father is away fighting in World War I, twelve-year-old Pam comes to suspect that a mysterious stranger in her small North Carolina town is a German spy.

What we like about this book: Pam is doing her best to be responsible and works hard to care for her father's pigeons. The story’s setting is masterfully done, and Pam’s suspiciousness about the German spy makes it into a good story. It’s very suspenseful and a great read!

Audience: girls

Age range: nine to fourteen




The War Horse

Michael Morpurgo

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey's courage touches the soldiers around him and he is able to find warmth and hope. But his heart aches for Albert, the farmer's son he left behind. Will he ever see his true master again?

What we like about this book: if you enjoyed the War Horse movie, you’re going to love the book so much more! Honestly, Marin and I both agree the book is better than the movie. The characters are far more alive in the book and Joey’s perspective on everything is hard to beat. This is a wonderful but very sobering book, one we recommend that everyone reads at some point in their life.

Audience: Boys and girls

Age Range: 12 and up

Cautions: The war is described in detail, and though it’s from the eyes of a horse, it is a very sobering and frightening picture. Kids who are easily frightened by such things shouldn’t read this book. It’s very descriptive in some areas.

9 comments:

  1. I've read all except "War Horse". I didn't even know there was a book, I thought it was just a movie. ;)
    I LOVE Rilla of Ingleside! It's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't gotten to Rilla of Ingleside yet; I haven't read any of these books. Excited for these new reads! Library here I come :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read all but "The Night Flyers". Actually, I haven't watched the "War Horse" movie, but I'm planning on watching it during the summer...AFTER school is finished for the year... It's my own personal incentive for finishing soon. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendations Mr. Trekker!
    I'm gonna go and order War Horse (the book) from the library right now! :)
    I'll be watching for your next posts! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only seen the movie War Horse but heard the book is great... Question Mr Trevor did you watch the movie or read to book first? assuming you have done both ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched the movie first... but we liked the book better. :)

      Delete
    2. Wow it must be really good then... Most people prefer whatever they did first :)

      Delete
  6. I nominated you for the Liebester Award! Check out my blog for details...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Sorry, I forgot to put the address for my blog! http://akansaswind.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-liebester-award-times-three-d.html

      Delete

Leave us a comment!