History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Revealed: Part Three

To read part one, click HERE.

A great light had exploded around us. Though I'd transported from one era to another a hundred times, I could never get over the suddenness or the light that blinded me even now. My head whirled, but not from the effects of time travel.
I blinked and blinked again. The light faded and I found myself next to- oh wait, that wasn’t Trevor.
I yelped when Mykola grabbed me by the arm, struggling to get out of his grip. “Let me go!”
“Ease up, Eli,” he taunted. “I’m rescuing you from a man who claims to have sought the best for you.”
“If you mean Trevor, he did,” I growled. I did my best to mask the fear that pounded against my heart and chest, but my frantic glances in every direction gave me away.
“You are naive, child. If he really cared about you, how come he didn’t tell you that you had a brother?”
“He didn’t know, and neither did I!”
“Hey!”
I tried to whirl around and face the familiar voice as Trevor raced towards us. Mykola tightened his grip and jerked me back, whipping out a gun from his trench-coat pocket.
“Mykola, let her go!” Trevor ordered, skidding to a stop in front of him.
I did my best not to shudder as Mykola waved the gun in front of the Scotsman.
“Are you fool enough not to see I have a gun, Trevor?” Mykola snorted. “I knew you wouldn’t cooperate if I didn’t bring Elizaveta along. You are slippery and sly, without her I’d have an eel on my hands.” He paused. I glanced up at him and he smiled, his blue eyes gleaming. I closed my eyes and tried to block out the fear and panic that screamed within. “But with your adopted daughter along, I’m sure you and I can work something out.”
“What do you want?” Trevor growled.
“For starters, I wanted to see how many people my TTGS, also known as the Time Tracking Graphical System, could transport at one time.”
I glanced around and gave Trevor a questioning look.
Trevor frowned. “There’s only three of us. What happened to the other guy, the one you called Dominik?” his eyes widened. “Wait, he’s the one who’s Marin’s brother? Did you incinerate him?”
“No, I’m right here.”
Before I knew what was happening Mykola turned around and shoved me in the direction of the other man. Dominik caught me before I fell, helping me straighten.
“Since you’re the rightful relative of this child, Dominik, I think it’s only fitting you watch over her,” Mykola stated. "In the mean time, I say it's high time we find a place to stay. You remember the one, Trevor. Lead the way."
I was scared. And that was an understatement. “Trevor?” I whispered. “Please tell me that this is just a bad dream.” Trevor looked over at me, and the hopelessness I read in his eyes did not help my fear. “Can’t we get out of this somehow? Can’t you take us home?”
Trevor shook his head and groaned. “I’m really, really sorry that you got dragged into this.” He ran a hand through his hair, making it stand up on end. “Believe me; I never dreamed that this would happen. I thought…” he paused. “Well, to be honest, I don’t know what to think.”
"That's your problem, Trevor," Mykola snorted. "You never think." Gun still in hand, he gestured for Trevor to take the lead. "Now let's get going. It's getting late."
I was overwhelmed. Exhausted from the events of the day, I didn't even flinch when Dominik gently took my arm and beckoned me on.
God, I prayed, I don’t know how you’re going to get us out of this, but I really hope you can keep us strong. Don’t let the creepy Ukrainian guy who Trevor-who-is-never-scared-of-anything is scared stiff of, hurt him or me.
Praying seemed to help calm me down a little, but now my thoughts returned to Dominik, the mysterious man who had helped my escape from the Nazis and looked so much like my father. Was he really my brother? And if so, why was he on the bad guy’s side? With these questions floating through my mind, I followed the three men to wherever our destination was.

~oOo~

“Elizaveta?”
A voice jerked me awake. I sat up quickly and looked around me. Trevor was sleeping in front of me, his head pillowed in his arm. The creepy Ukrainian guy, Mykola, was nowhere to be seen.
We had arrived at a dinky hotel in the middle of a tiny town full of people wearing clothes I recognized from the 1800s era. Why Mykola had chosen to transport us to this time, I had no idea. But a hotel was a hotel, and out of exhaustion I'd fallen asleep rather quickly, leaning against the back of a wall.
I turned to the person who had spoken to me and saw that is was Dominik, the man I had just found out was my brother.
“Did you say something to me?” I asked, a little coldly.
Dominik flushed. “Please, I’m sorry about this. I never knew what Mykola was planning when he wanted me to help him.”
“I suppose that makes everything alright then.” I snapped. My anger had been pent up too long and now rushed out, unchecked. “I suppose that you apologizing makes the fact that Trevor and I may never see our home again okay? And that what’s-his-name may decide to hurt either Trevor or me at any moment fine? Well, I don’t need you to say you’re sorry!” Suddenly my anger left me. I was only a girl, helpless to do anything in a situation I didn’t understand. “I-I just want to go home!” I wailed, starting to cry. Slightly ashamed, I covered my face with my hands, continuing to weep as if the world had come to an end.
Dominik watched me awkwardly for a few seconds. “It’s going to be alright,” he said tentatively at last, not sure what else to say to a little girl that was crying.
“No it’s not!” I said through my hands and between sobs.
“Can I help you?” he tried again.
“Just go away!” I helpfully suggested.
But he didn’t. He sat down next to me and put his arm around my shoulders. After a few minutes my sobs turned into occasional hiccups and I wiped my eyes.
"So," I managed after a second or two of uncomfortable silence. "Kostya. He was your father too?"
Dominik nodded. "I guess you're my little sister."
"I didn't even know papa had been married previously," I admitted.
"I was unaware he remarried," Dominik replied. Silence once more. He glanced around nervously. “Uhh, can I get you something to drink?”
I nodded. “Thank you.”
He got up as if to go, but just then Mykola rushed into the room, a cruel smile on his face. He went over to where Trevor was sleeping peacefully and kicked him.
“Get up you Scottish dog!” he exclaimed.
Trevor jumped up and braced himself as if he was afraid Mykola would kick him again. “What do you want?”
“Nothing yet, but maybe something soon. I've located a place I thought would be nice to see. Time to visit an old friend of ours. I have everything ready. Follow me.”
Trevvor looked horrified. “No!” he shouted. “Please Mykola, you can’t do this!”
“Watch me.” Mykola replied.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This is one intense, exciting story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, this is getting REALLY interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is getting Scary!!!!
    I can't wait till next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can hardly wait to see what is going to happen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...this is quite a riveting read!
    Indi

    ReplyDelete
  6. When is part four coming out? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment!