History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

Monday, March 23, 2015

Patriots in Need are Patriots Indeed: Part Three


“Now who’s running off without telling others where they are?” I demanded in a whisper as I sat down next to Trevor. He shot me an apologetic grin and shrugged, but didn’t reply.

George Washington sat down across from them all with a smile. “Since you four have been such a great help to my soldiers, I decided to give you some good news: General Horatio Gates recaptured Saratoga, New York in October. This eliminates the British threat to Albany as well as much of the North. But that’s not all: France has joined us in our fight for freedom by declaring war on England! I only received this wonderful news a week ago, but shared it with the soldiers just this morning. I think it will help lift their spirits a great deal.”

Trevor grinned. “That is wonderful news!” he exclaimed, doing a wonderful job of looking surprised and overjoyed at what wasn’t really news to us. “I hope that the soldiers will find enough hope in it to keep fighting.”

The general nodded, a shadow coming over his face. “Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it; so many soldiers have died, so many precious human lives taken…” He trailed off. I noticed tears gathering in his eyes, and found my own eyes stinging. I blinked them several times.

With a start, George Washington seemed to jerk himself back into the present and smiled again. “I would like you to meet a new friend of mine; Baron Friedrich von Steuben.”

A middle aged man, dressed in a blue uniform jacket and white vest stepped into the room when the general called his name.

“You wanted me?” He asked in a thick accent.

George Washington motioned towards us. “I’d like you to meet these volunteers, Baron Steuben. They have not only brought us meat, but this girl helped mend some of my soldiers’ arms and legs. They’ve all worked on lifting the men’s spirits.”

 Trevor quickly took the opportunity to introduce us. Baron Steuben bowed to each of us in turn, then, with another bow towards George Washington, took his leave again.

“The Baron Steuben is a Prussian citizen, but came here as an unpaid volunteer. He speaks little English, but still managed to simplify the drill manual. He had my soldiers marching crisply in a matter of weeks!” The general shook his head in amazement. “Do you know what he said to me when he first came to volunteer? ‘The object of my greatest ambition is to render your country all the services in my power to deserve the title of America by fighting for the cause of your liberty.’ I was very impressed.”

I was impressed too. I looked over at Trevor and Dominick. It was obvious that the Baron’s statement had also made a deep impression on them.

 Past Trevor, I don’t know what he was thinking, but he suddenly blurted out: “Well, you certainly couldn’t have won this war without men like him.”

Trevor’s face grew red. Whether from anger or embarrassment for his Past Self, I don’t know. George Washington gave Past Trevor a funny look, and as for the guilty party, he appeared to suddenly realize what he just said. His hand flew to his mouth and he turned red too.

“I-I mean, you wouldn’t have a chance of winning this war without men like him.” He stuttered.

There was a collective sigh of relief and George Washington’s face cleared. “That is very true,” He answered. “Our country will certainly need men like the Baron Steuben to lead it.”

We talked for a while longer with the general, but soon he declared that it was getting late, and we agreed. Soon we were all tucked into blankets around an open fire under the twinkling stars.


~oOo~


“Marin, wake up!” a voice urged me awake. I sat up much too quickly and groaned as I nearly blacked out. Pressing a hand against my forehead for a moment, I looked up into the worried face of my adopted father.

“What is it?” I asked in concern.

“We need to leave soon.” Trevor replied. “Say your goodbyes and meet me here in twenty minutes. I’ve got a bad feeling that Mykola’s not far behind us.”

I nodded and slipped out of the blanket cocoon I had made myself into the night before. I said a quick “good morning” to my brother, nodded politely to Past Trevor, and then walked over to the line of soldiers. Twenty minutes was plenty of time to say goodbye to them all, but I also wanted to help their various wounds one last time. Who knew when they would get proper medical care, if ever!

Saying goodbye to William was the hardest. The young soldier’s gratitude for my simple help brought tears to my eyes. I brushed them away quickly and smiled at him cheerfully while changing his bandage one last time. His arm was looking much, much better.

“Don’t forget to keep your wound clean,” I warned. “Change the bandage as often as possible.”

“I will,” He promised, grinning good-naturedly at my advice. “You sound just like my mother did when I cut myself a few years ago on the bothering knife.”

I wrapped his arm up again, avoiding eye contact. “Well, goodbye.”

“You’re leaving?” William asked in a shocked voice.

I nodded. “We have to get back home and tend our own property.”

William gripped the hand I offered him to shake and tears streamed down his face. “I can’t thank you enough for your help with my arm,” He whispered. “I’m going to miss you, Marin.”

I willed the tears not to fall, but even so, a few leaked out and rolled down my cheeks. “I’ll miss you too, William.” I replied, not trusting myself to say more.

William seemed to understand and simply pressed my hand harder before letting go. I moved down the line of soldiers, saying goodbye and giving them the same last minute instructions I gave William.


Unknowingly, I had wandered far from where Trevor now stood, waiting for my return. With all the goodbyes, I had forgotten the peril I was constantly in. When a hand was laid on my shoulder again, I thought it would be General Washington, since that was how he had found me the other two times, but it wasn’t. I realized this when a gun barrel was shoved into my back and I was ordered to stand still.

I felt the blood drain from my face. “Mykola!?” I whispered out loud, not believing it even then.

“You’re right, Elizaveta.”
It was true then, only one man called me that.

“What are you going to do to me?” I hissed.

“That all depends on how your Scottish friend behaves.” Mykola replied with a satisfied chuckle. “I’ve got the upper hand here now.”

“Let…me…GO!” I said, trying to wriggle from Mykola’s grasp. His hands tightened and the gun was shoved harder into my back.

“I’d stop that if I were you.” He replied. I obeyed, panting for breath.


Suddenly, from behind Mykola, came another voice. A voice with a thick accent that I recognized immediately.

“Drop that gun, English pig.” It was Baron Steuben, holding a rifle steadily and a look in his eye that seemed to convince Mykola to drop his own gun. He let go of me in the same motion and I quickly took control of the gun and got out of his range.

Trevor was already next to me, holding me in a bear hug and glaring at Mykola. “Nice try,” he was saying, “You almost had me up a tree there. But thanks to the Baron, you no longer do… Even though you aren’t English or a pig.” He added after a moment.

Dominick stood next to Trevor, waiting for his turn to hug me, and he too was glaring at Mykola. “You deserve an even worse title. ‘English pig’ is too good for the likes of you.”

I somehow got out of Dominick’s hug and ran over to the disappearing form of the Baron Steuben. Once I had caught up, I grabbed his uniform. He stopped in surprise and looked down at me, his eyes crinkling into a smile as he recognized me.

“I wanted to thank you,” I gasped out after catching enough breath to do so.

He bowed, then explained in broken English, “Only bad men keep girls prisoner.”

I bowed back, “Thank you again,” I said.

He bowed again, then turned and walked into the general’s tent.


~oOo~


I dashed back to Trevor and Dominick only to find that they were alone, staring at where Mykola had been with blank looks on their faces.

“What happened?” I demanded.

“H-he must have still had 4T on him!” Trevor blurted finally. “He was gone, suddenly,” He snapped his fingers in disbelief, “Just like that! I thought he had put it somewhere, because I couldn’t see it on him, but he must have hidden it, knowing I would look for it.”

I groaned. “Then we’re back to time traveling?” I asked.

Trevor nodded, a sudden gleam coming to his eyes that I recognized with a twinge of worry. He grinned and pulled out 4T-2. Holding it up and looking at it admiringly, he glanced back at Dominick and me.

“I know exactly where we’re going to go next…”

I exchanged a glance with my brother, then everything exploded in light.

Such was the way of my life. One adventure to the next....

5 comments:

  1. Aww, that scene with you and William made my eyes water Marin!
    This story just keeps getting better and better! I wonder where you're going next...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story.
    --Eve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you meant to say "butchering knife" not "bothering knife" Marin. Am I right? It's ok, these typing errors happen to me ALL the TIME. (It's actually a little embarrassing how many times it has happened...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job, by the way. I almost forgot... :)

      Delete
    2. So sorry! I did mean that! I'll try to do better next time. Thank you for being so understanding. :) I'm so glad you all are enjoying our adventures.

      Delete

Leave us a comment!