History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Patriots in Need are Patriots Indeed: Part Two


I was at first frozen in fear, but then I caught sight of William’s face. It had lit up in respect and happiness.

“How are you doing, William?” A warm, kind voice spoke behind me that sent thrills down my spine. “I came over to check on you, and found you in very good hands.”

“I’m very well, general,” William replied gratefully. “Marin has been taking exceptional care of us soldiers. I couldn’t ask for a better nurse.”

I turned and looked up at the speaker. General Washington was tall and very imposing in his American uniform. But I didn’t fail to notice that even his uniform was worn and threadbare. George Washington had lines of care in his face and was noticeably thin. Obviously, the general had fared no better than his men.

His warm eyes met mine and he smiled. “I can’t thank you enough for your care of my soldiers, Marin. They haven’t had much of that I’m afraid with very little supplies and even less food.”

“You’re very welcome,” I replied, standing up and dusting off my hands to shake his own. His grip was strong and firm. “I’m always happy to help.”

Dominick came over from where he had been helping bury a dead soldier and was looking at George Washington in awe.

“This is the first President of the United States?” He asked me in a whisper.

“Not yet,” I cautioned, also in a whisper. I turned to the general with a smile. “This is my brother, Dominick,” I said.

George Washington gave him a handshake as well. “Welcome to our winter camp,” He answered. “I’m afraid it’s not much, but I believe that God will provide.”

Suddenly, from behind the general, a cheer was raised. A few minutes later I saw why. Marching into camp were both Trevors holding between them a turkey. Following them were two other soldiers also bearing a turkey and then some more soldiers with some quail of some kind.

The hungry soldiers wasted no time starting to cook the birds, which was a good thing because as soon as the Trevors saw George Washington, they nearly dropped the turkey in their eagerness to meet him. Luckily, several soldiers relieved them of it just in time.

“General Washington, right?” Trevor said, putting out a hand in greeting.

George Washington smiled. “Indeed it is. Thank you both so much for getting my soldiers meat. We sorely need it.”

“This is Valley Forge, right?” Past Trevor asked with a look around the camp.

George Washington nodded.

“Where you stay for the winter before…” Whatever he was going to say was stopped by Trevor stomping on his foot as a warning and he said “Ow!” instead, hopping up and down while holding his foot.

Trevor quickly explained to the puzzled general that his identical twin wasn’t right in the head. “He thinks he can foretell the future,” Trevor explained, giving his Past Self an especially dark scowl behind the general’s back. 

George Washington seemed satisfied with Trevor’s explanation and merely shrugged, turning back to William, the soldier I had been helping.

“I hope your arm heals quickly,” he said and gave him one last smile of encouragement before turning back to his own tent.

I finished helping the other soldiers and then Trevor and I got some time by ourselves. Dominick had gone back to helping the soldiers feed the sick. Past Trevor was helping cook the turkey and I hoped that he was keeping his mouth shut about what was going to happen.

Trevor let out a sigh suddenly and I looked up at him. “What is it?” I asked worriedly.

“I’m worried about Mykola,” Trevor admitted, running a hand through his hair with another sigh and leaving it standing up in all directions. “He could show up at any time and hurt you.”

“Or you,” I added. “He hates you.”

“I know,” Trevor groaned. “But I’m afraid he’s going to do something to you to get back at me. I’m so sorry for bringing you into this at all. I never should have adopted you; I should have left you where you belonged!” His head sank into his hands.

“But Trevor…” I began in hopes of comforting him, “I don’t want to go back. I’m glad you adopted me, and I’m glad you brought me here. Imagine how boring my life would be without being your adopted daughter.”

Trevor looked up and gave me a lopsided grin. “Really? You’re…glad…of all this? Even the danger we’re in?”

I shrugged. “Well, of course I’m not glad of the danger, but at least I have you to protect me, right? But yes, I am glad that I’m with you right now, not back in my old home.”

Any further conversation was stopped when Past Trevor came up to us with plates of freshly cooked turkey. Dominick came over sat down next to me. After a quick prayer to bless our food, we ate.

~oOo~


When I went over to check on the sick soldiers, William met my stop with a smile. “I feel great!” He exclaimed. “Whatever you did to my arm really helped.”

“Keeping wounds clean is very important,” I replied. Unwrapping his bandage, I checked it for infection. So far so good. William was lucky; I had caught it in time. I poured hot water over it again and replaced his old bandages with new ones. Leaving Dominick with him to feed him more broth, I moved onto the next soldier. A lot of them were doing better, but some had had their wounds go a little too far. I wasn’t a professional doctor or anything like that and I could only hope to make their death more comfortable.

Suddenly, I noticed George Washington leave his tent and walk towards the woods. Curious, I followed him, forgetting for a moment the constant danger I was in.

He stopped once he had put some distance between himself and the camp and knelt in the snow. Bowing his head, he began to pray:

“Heavenly Father, I humbly pray that you hear the voice of your servant. You know that my army is in Your hands. You know that every day we face starvation, cold, and death. You have provided thus far, and I wish to thank You for it. Today you brought us friends that gave my sick soldiers help and food to feed them, You gave General Gates victory over the British, You brought France into this war as an ally. I thank You for all these things. But again, I lift up my army to You, Lord. Heal the sick, feed the hungry, and warm the cold. I pray all these things in Your name, Amen.”

He stood up, but I turned back to camp, already feeling guilty of eavesdropping on the general’s conversation with God. However, I was also feeling thrilled to have been mentioned by this great man in his prayer. That didn’t happen every day!

I was so happy as I walked into camp that I failed to notice the scowl on Trevor’s face as he walked over to me. When I did finally see it, I suddenly realized that I was in for a very long, uncomfortable talk about the importance of my safety and how I should have told him where I was going and had someone go with me for added security.

Sure enough, I was right.

 “How could you do that to me? I’ve been worried out of my mind! What were you thinking, going off like that without someone to protect you? Where were you anyways?” Trevor stormed as soon as I was within hearing distance.

I waited patiently for him to finish and then explained. Instantly, Trevor forgave and forgot my mistake of walking away without telling him and began asking me questions. I answered as best I could, but I was glad to escape more interrogation when Dominick gave me a chance by telling me that William needed my help.

I hurried over to the sick soldier, suddenly worried. Had I done something wrong? Forgotten to sterilize the wound enough? Given him the wrong medicine? Was the bandage not clean enough?

A smile from William eased my fears and he greeted me with a cheerful, though still weak, “Hello Marin!”

“You wanted me?” I asked, kneeing down and checking his arm.

William looked puzzled. “I didn’t ask for you…although it would be nice to have a clean bandage now that I think about it.”

I cleaned his wound somewhat absentmindedly and replaced the bandage. Dominick came over just as I was finishing and pulled me out of earshot.

“I thought you might appreciate not answering more questions.” He grinned and nodded in Trevor’s direction. “He seems to be busy right now and won’t bother you with more.”

I looked over at Trevor, and saw that he was “busy” writing in his journal. I turned back to Dominick and smiled gratefully.

“Thank you,” I answered, “I was running out of answers pretty quickly.”

Dominick walked away and I went back to checking on the soldiers. It seemed to be a never ending job. I got through the line of sick men for the second time and wandered back to where I had last seen Trevor.

But he wasn’t there! In fact, I suddenly realized that I didn’t know where Dominick or Past Trevor were either! And Mykola could show up at any time!

I panicked, looking around me, forgetting that I was surrounded by other people. Where was everyone? Had they left me? Was I all alone in the past?

This is ridiculous, I told myself, calm down. Trevor would never leave you. I took a few deep breaths, letting them out slowly. God, I’m scared. Please keep Mykola away from me and Trevor. Keep us safe and let us get back home soon.

A hand was laid on my shoulder and I stiffened.

“Marin? Are you alright?” It was George Washington.

My heart began beating normally, and I let out my breath in a whoosh. “I’m fine,” I answered, turning to him with a shaky smile. “I don’t know where my adopted father, Trevor and my brother are, and I got scared.”

“That’s perfectly normal, Marin. There’s no need to be ashamed of fear.” The general said, and took my hand protectively. “Come with me. Trevor, his twin, and your brother are all in my tent. I came out to find you and bring you there as well.”

6 comments:

  1. Aww, General George Washington sounds so amazing! (even if he wasn't the best general...)
    I like how you included his prayer in this story! :D
    I wonder why they're in his tent...I guess I'll just have to wait for the next part! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a very good man, yes.
      Apologies that we didn't respond to your comments last week, everyone. We had a bit of a problem with... but I'm sure that it will be covered in next week's posts. :)

      Delete
    2. That's okay. :)
      Yeah, problems do tend to be...problems. ;)
      Excited for next week! :D

      Delete
  2. I am really enjoying this! I can't wait to see why they're in the tent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is awesome! I'll definitely be back for the next part! :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment!