History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Beach Invasion

Well, are you ready to go on a grand adventure? I'll let Marin tell this one, as she's the expert on this time period...

The cold snowflakes brushed against my cheeks, and I pulled the collar of my coat closer. I shivered, the chilly air closing around me as I tried to keep warm.
Everywhere I looked I saw snowflakes, water- and millions of ladybugs. Courtesy of our favorite time traveler, Trevor Trekker.
The ladybugs were a bit out of place on this cold beachfront, and they didn’t look that happy. Or very much alive.
“Did you really have to bring those bugs with us, Trevor?” I asked. Another cold gust whipped at my jacket, and I huddled in a ball. “Dobrota! It is cold here! Remind me again why we came?”
“Too many questions,” Trevor grunted, staring through his binoculars.
“Pardon?”
“You. You ask too many questions. Why don’t you just wait and see?”
I wrinkled my nose. “You could at least tell me why we brought these poor little ladybugs here. They’re freezing. It’s not very nice.”
“I didn’t bring the ladybugs here, 4T must have transported them from that sanctuary in South Dakota we visited last. Anywho, it’s not my fault if they die.” He gave a sideways glance at the bugs and glared at them. “I hate ladybugs.”
“Oh křen, Trevor!” I admonished. “Ladybugs can’t hurt you.”
He didn’t reply as he continued to stare through his binoculars at the ocean.
It was dark and very late. I wasn’t sure what year it was, or even what month. For all I knew we could be in Antarctica, enjoying a nice warm summer snowfall. Not my cup of tea. But I hadn’t been so nice to Trevor lately and I’d agreed I’d go with him to make up for my bad attitude. I was still feeling guilty over how I blew up at him when he shot something up my nose with an air gun- while I’d been asleep.
Ty velký průměr blbec ! Jdi ode mě pryč !” I’d yelled.
Trevor had been standing over me, the gun in his hand and a confused look on his face. “What?”
Leave me alone!
“But you said you wanted a translato-”
“Go away!”
I’d then promptly resorted to throwing pillows and whatever I could find at him, the pain in my nose and head adding to my anger.
It was only once I’d calmed down that Trevor informed me he had, in fact, given me the universal language translator I’d told him I’d like to have. He’d just  failed to mention he had to shoot it up my nose into my head so I could understand any language someone spoke.
I grimaced at the memory and shook my head. Though it hadn’t been the nicest thing to do, I realized Trevor meant it with good intentions. Though I still hated the thought of some weird device in my head that made me understand other languages. I didn’t even bother to ask Trevor how it worked or what it did, I was too worried to find out if it had side effects.
“There. There! There it is!”
I jerked my head up in attention as Trevor began to jump up and down on the beach, pointing at something. “It’s over there! I see it!”
Without warning, he grabbed my arm and dragged me into the cover of the trees at a run. I yelped in surprise, staggered to my feet while he continued to drag me on the wet snow, and began to run with him.
“You could have told me we needed to run,” I panted.
Slam! I ran into his back as he stopped dead in his tracks and whirled around to watch the beach again.
“Oww…” I groaned.
“It’s really there! I can see it!” He put the binoculars up to his eyes again, doing a little happy Scottish jig in the underbrush beneath the pine trees. “Oi, this is so exciting!”
“Uh huh,” I managed, standing up and brushing snow off my body. I winced and put my hand to my head, knowing I’d have a headache before too long. “What are we excited about again?”
U-1230, of course!” Trevor replied indignantly. “Weren’t you paying attention at all?”
“You didn’t mention anything about where we were going or why,” I offered up. “So no, I have no idea what’s going on.”
He blinked, then scratched his head. Then his face broke into a sheepish grin, and he chuckled a little. “Oh, I did fail to mention that, didn’t I?”
“Yes, you did.”
“Well-” he stopped, then glanced back towards the beach. “Why don’t I just show you?”
Trevor handed me the binoculars, and I raised them to my eyes. It took a minute for me to focus, but I finally caught sight of what he was excited about.
And then I knew.
“I’m leaving,” I announced, handing him the binoculars and marching into the woods.
“Whoa whoa whoa, where are you going?” Trevor exclaimed, running after me. “What’s wrong?”
“That’s a Nazi sub!”
“Yes, isn’t it exciting?”
I put my hands on my hips. “No, it’s not.” I shook my head. “Nazi submarine, Trevor. Nazi. Who lives during this time period?”
“Ah, but you see, you haven’t lived during this particular part of the war,” Trevor corrected, determined to find a way for me to stick around. “This is 1944, you started traveling with me in 1939.”
“Trevor, I don’t think you’re getting it. That’s a NAZI SUBMARINE!”
He cocked his head a little and stared at me. “You don’t need to shout, I’m right here.”
I threw my hands up in defeat.
“Besides, they might hear you,” he said, glancing over his shoulder. “They’re coming ashore.”
Now I was out of there.
“Wait!” Trevor called after me as I ran through the brush, going in whatever direction was away from the beach. “This is history!”
I knew that, and I didn’t want to be a part of it. Not this. Sure I stuck around when that deputy had tried to shoot us down. Yes, I’d braved a brush with a rattlesnake. But Nazis? I knew too much about them, I remembered it all too vividly. The school, the laws, the constant threat of being discovered that I’d escaped from their retraining center. My parents.
I slowed down from my run and looked behind me. Trevor wasn’t there. He’d decided to stay behind and watch the sub.
Oh Trevor, I groaned inwardly. Why? Why did he want to be here? Where were we anyways? And what was he so excited about? This was the Nazis, they surfaced their submarines all the time!
I sat down on a stump and contemplated what to do. Should I wait for Trevor or go back to him? He’d said they were coming ashore. I shuddered at the thought. Flashbacks overtook my memories.
Herr Kimpling, the guns, the barbed wire. I began to breath hard and I tried to clear my thoughts. The soldiers, dragging my mother away. Mom crying. The shop being destroyed. No, no! I couldn’t think about this right now, I had to conquer the fear! Father, slipping away while I was being dragged off.
“Dear God,” I managed, hardly able to breathe. “Dear God, help me!”
And just like that, they were gone.
I closed my eyes and held my head in my hands, my heart beating against my chest. Thank you God, thank you, I prayed silently.
It was too painful. Too scary. I wanted to forget it forever.
So I decided I’d wait for Trevor to come to me. I’d rather do that then go back to the beach and face another onslaught of those horrid flashbacks.
But what if those Nazis find Trevor? I wondered. What were they doing here anyways?
At that second I heard footsteps approaching. Oh, he’s back! I leapt off the tree trunk I’d been sitting on and ran towards the sound. “Trevor, are you okay?” I called. I spotted his figure before he had a chance to reply, and I raced towards him. “Please tell me you didn’t let those Nazis see you-”
I skidded to a stop and stared at the man in front of me, who in turn stared at me. That’s. Not. Trevor.
And there were two men, not one.
My feet reacted before my brain did and I found myself fleeing in the opposite direction, the sound of cursing in German right behind me. My heart flew into my throat and I choked in terror as I ran as fast as I could. Must get away from here!
Du hast!” A hand grabbed my arm and jerked me back. I screamed, but he covered my mouth. “Now what am I going to have to do with you?”


Come back next week for part two!

20 comments:

  1. Poor Marin! I'd be plenty scared too.
    Scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Where IS Trevor when all these things start happening to Marin? (not to insult you, Trevor, but it does seem that Marin is often on the brink of death or something on these adventures; be careful! Some others besides the Nazis want to get a hold of you!)
    Thanks for all the book lists for the last couple months. I finally got around to ordering several that our library has. I'm really looking forward to adding them to my "New 100 books" list that I started this year. I'm at 65 (???) currently, so just about 35 books left to read!
    God bless!
    Ira-Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I just got that book "Someone Named Eva" from the library this afternoon, and I read the entire book! My heart was beating quickly! Horrible! The Nazis were so cruel. You can see where they would begin to doubt the truth with paraphernalia like that being pounded into them. A wonderful book.
      Thank you!
      God bless!
      Ira-Grace

      Delete
    2. Trevor, why don't you like ladybugs?
      Ira-Grace

      Delete
    3. I read the book too, Ira-Grace! I loved it so much. It made me nearly cry. :'( Did you know you can actually contact the author who wrote it? Her website is joanmwolf. I emailed her and told her how much it touched me, and she actually emailed me back!
      I have some questions for you too, Trevor. Why on earth are you afraid of ladybugs? They're so cute! :D Also, you don't seem to be afraid of anything. Why?
      Just curious!

      -Calamity Rene

      Delete
    4. Uhm, I don't mean for all these things to happen to Marin. For some reason when you're not looking for trouble if finds you, (like Marin) and then when you are looking for trouble (like me) you don't find it! It can be very frustrating. I would have much preferred to have dealt with those spies myself, but of course it was Marin who stumbled on them. (No offense, Marin!)
      And ladybugs are just pure evil. That's all I'm going to say.

      Delete
    5. Thanks a lot, Trevor! You can have all the trouble you want, I'm very much done with it! ;)
      Oh, and he hates ladybugs because when he was younger he stumbled across a swarm of them and they started to bite him. It's true, ladybugs will bite when there are a lot of them, because they become hungry and want to find something to eat. It's kind of creepy, but I still like ladybugs. :)

      Delete
    6. Really?
      Earwigs bite as well. One bit my Dad once. Boy was he surprised!
      Ladybugs are pretty, though. Sometimes my family/my grandparents have kept ladybugs as guests in the house through the winter. Just don't squish them!
      Marin, how close were you to finishing the adoption training before you ran away?
      Ira-Grace

      Delete
    7. Oh, thanks for telling for telling me that, Calamity Rene! Hey, its nice to see some familiar names over on this site! At first I couldn't figure out to comment, but I can finally share my many thoughts!
      God bless!
      Ira-Grace

      Delete
  2. Oh, POOR Marin!!! Hurry back to save her Trevor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I don't think I'd like a translator in my head! I'd rather learn the languages myself! I already know some French and am learning Spanish. I'd also like to learn Irish gaelic, and then Scottish gaelic (some characters in my book speak gaelic; Irish and Scottish gaelics are different). Trevor, do you know a good language course for either type of gaelic.
    Hey, I also know a few words of Italian (some of my family is trying to learn it; believe me, we can have quite a bit of language diffusion within our greetings and farewells in even entering and leaving a room! I also learn Italian/German/French words in piano.And then I remember several Pensylvanian Dutch words from some Amish books. Do they speak German? I think so.). :D Anyone else have interest in languages?
    Oh, guess what? I also like sign language!!!!! It drives my family crazy sometimes, but I know how to finger spell and a variety of other words. :D
    Ira-Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music also counts as a language, right? And I know several different staffs for music writing.
      Ira-Grace

      Delete
    2. I find languages so interesting. Even before Trevor decided I needed his global translator, I already fluently spoke Czech, English, Russian, German and some Gaelic.
      I guess music might count as a type of language... I don't know, I was never much good at music! You sound very talented, Ira-Grace!

      Delete
    3. Ira-Grace...

      I found a simple sight to learn some Gaelic. http://learngaelic.net/
      I don't know how useful that will be for you, but it's better than nothing! I already speak Gaelic since I'm Scottish, but when I want to translate a word for you readers, I use Google Translate. It's quite useful, you can learn a lot of words that way!
      Keep up your language explorations!

      Delete
    4. I think music counts as a language, 'cause my music teacher told me some colleges accept it as a second language.
      Thanks, Trevor. I'll check it out!
      God bless!
      Ira-Grace

      Delete
  4. Google Translate is pretty useful

    ---Ev e

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! I can't wait to see what happens!
    Mister Trekker, don't worry about the Ladybug thing, I have a friend who hates/is scared of them too. :) I've always thought that ladybugs were fun, but lately, for some reason, they give me the creeps...
    I'll be watching for part 2!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW.
    You guy's really have me on the edge of my seat. Great story so far. We have a yearly ladybug invasion at our house it's rather annoying, but I don't mind seeing a few here and there. I've never really been scared of bugs or spiders... as long as they aren't in the house ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excited for tomorrow!
    God bless!
    Ira-Grace

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment!