History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

Monday, September 29, 2014

Beach Invasion: Part Three

Ready for the final chapter? We hope so!


It was, without a doubt, the worst moment of my life.
To be sure, I’d been in much scarier positions than this before, in Czechoslovakia. But never before was I responsible for someone else’s life, never before had my choices put someone in danger. And now my arm was being held firmly by a Nazi spy while we waited for the one person in my life who would do anything to help me escape.
Poor Trevor. I must admit, I often think of him as a bit- well, naive and childish, and perhaps not that smart. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a genius when it comes to inventions, time travel, history and science. When it comes to people, though, Trevor just doesn’t seem to have that touch. He comes off extremely wild, somewhat obnoxious and impatient. To a certain extent that really is his character, but oftentimes I’d taken it as I needed to tell him what to do and make sure he stayed out of trouble. At eleven years old, I was telling a twenty-five-year-old man what to do!
Oh Trevor, why do you put up with me? I thought miserably. Dear God, please help us. Please!
We were in a dark alleyway in what I believed was New York. The taller, older agent had arranged to meet Trevor there by way of his partner. The younger agent looked terrified and nervous, and he kept shifting his position.
“This isn’t a good idea,” he said at long last.
“Have any better ones?”
“No, but you didn’t see this man. He’s crazy. Insane. His hair was going every direction and he talked like a mad man!”
I had to smile at this. I suppose that could be someone’s first impression of Trevor’s somewhat unkempt appearance.
Tall agent smirked. “Sounds like a duplicate of you.”
Young spy glared, but didn’t say anything.
A shadow appeared at the end of the alleyway. Trevor? I gulped.
No, that wasn’t Trevor.
“Who goes there?” The tall agent demanded, his hand gripping my arm harder as he put his hand in his pocket where his gun was.
The figure stopped, and I strained to see his face. The dim-lit area didn’t aluminate his face well enough to tell his features, but I could tell he was a man. Who is this guy?
“Who are you?” Tall agent asked again.
Obviously they weren’t expecting whoever this is.
“You agreed to meet me,” the man said slowly.
His accent was of one of the Slavic languages, but I couldn’t tell which one. He didn’t sound German, but I wasn’t sure. Perhaps he was a subversive the Nazis were supposed to meet?
“That’s not the guy who chased me,” the young agent muttered under his breath.


Now my captor was thoroughly rattled. He whipped his gun out fully and aimed it at the stranger, taking the safety off of it. “Who are you? FBI? OSS?”
It was as if he wasn’t even afraid of the gun. He started walking forwards again, his own hand going into his pocket. Perhaps a weapon? “You said you’d meet me. So here I am. I am the Contact.”
Click.
The senior spy meant business and he wasn’t afraid to show it. His gun was cocked and ready to fire. “The contact, eh? Then why haven’t you given us the password? Why didn’t you say who you were before?”
The man shrugged and didn’t reply.
“We don’t know you,” the tall agent growled, “Now do I have to blast you away to get you to leave?”
He hesitated for a second, then proceeded onwards. “You would do so anyways. So go ahead. It won’t make a difference.”
I wasn’t sure what happened first- the gunshot or the hand that jerked me back. All I know is that the next instant I was being dragged behind Trevor as he ran like the wind. “You could run, you know!” he yelped as he tried to keep up his pace.
“Trevor!” I cried, gaining my legs and beginning to run with him. “Trevor! How did- where did you come from- I thought-”
He held up his hand and replied, “Later. Let’s get out of here!”
I glanced back behind me, just in time to see the mystery man land a right clipper in the tall agent’s face. Somehow the agent had missed when he'd shot at him, or the man had been wearing a bullet proof vest. Not likely, seeing how those haven't been invented yet, The young spy was already on the ground, unconscious and a bit beat up. The man must've leapt on him first.
As we rounded a corner, the man looked up- and I got a quick glimpse of his face before he was out of sight. What I had seen of him was enough to make me question my sanity.
He looked just like a picture of my father when he was younger. But that was impossible, my Dad was forty when I’d been born, and the photo I was recalling was taken when he was twenty.
All of my senses were overloaded and I struggled to rearrange my thoughts. Who was that man? Perhaps Trevor had the answer. I was beginning to find he knew quite a bit more than I did!


~oOo~
“I’m glad to be back,” I sighed, staring up at the blue sky from my hammock.
“Aye.”
“And I’m glad we’re okay.”
“Aye.”
I eyed Trevor, who was wearing sunglasses and was laid out in the sand- with his labcoat on.
“Trevor, why aren’t you roasting?”
“Aye.”
Now I cocked an eyebrow. “Are you ignoring me?”
“Aye.”
I began to giggle as I realized what had happened. Poor Trevor was so exhausted from our crazy trip that he’d fallen asleep on the beach. Now he was asleep and was sleep talking, something he did a lot.
We’d returned to the Island shortly after Trevor rescued me. When I’d asked how he’d known that the trade-off was actually a knock-off (that is, they weren’t planning on letting Trevor walk away alive) he’d been a bit offended.
“I know how those guys work,” he’d said. “I knew that if they offered a trade they’d try to kill me. So I got some help.”
“That man?” I’d inquired.
“Yeah. He’d seen me chase down that young American spy down the road, and asked what was going on. When I explained it to him-”
“You told him I’d been kidnapped by Nazi spies? Trevor! How could you? You know we aren’t supposed to change history!”
Trevor had grinned at this and ruffled my hair. “You already changed history, Marin. They weren’t supposed to meet you on the beach.”
“True,” I’d mused. “But weren’t you afraid that the rest of history might be altered or something?”
“Not really. I knew the guy wouldn’t report the spies after he beat them up.”
At this I’d glanced at him quizzically. “How?”
Trevor shrugged. “He was a Commie. When we’d made plans on how to rescue you, I noted that in his apartment he had a Soviet book. Communists aren’t really interested in attracting the attention of the FBI, if you know what I mean.”
That’s just too strange. Not only had the man had an accent, reminded me of my father, but he was even a Communist. Could it be…? No, it was impossible. Besides, only Trevor had invented a time machine as far as we knew.
“So we organized it that he’d distract them and I’d grab you from behind.”
“How did he know the agents had a contact? Did you tell him that?”
Trevor had frowned at this, and scratched his chin. “No. I didn’t know the spies had a contact here. Hmmm… perhaps he’d just made a good guess. Strange thing was, when I went to meet him later to pay him for his help, he didn’t show up. Just left a note saying that he’d see me around.”
“I hope you didn’t tell him you’re a time traveler and wouldn’t be back.”
“Nah.” Trevor had waved it off. “Andi’s the only one we’ve told that to. I just left it at that.”
Now we were back home on the island, safe and sound. I’d told Trevor I was sorry for not trusting him back on the beach in Maine. If it hadn’t been for my fear, I wouldn’t have had to face such a horrible situation.
Trevor of course had forgiven me, brushing it off as no big deal. “Just glad you’re fine,” he’d told me, giving me a squeeze.
I guess I really did learn a lesson, I decided. I didn’t want to learn it that way, but its still invaluable. I’d learn to trust and respect someone even if you feel sometimes they aren’t capable of being a good leader. Oftentimes you underestimate someone and they really do know what they’re doing. Trevor was evidence of that. He may seem quirky and a bit- well, not-so-smart, but he really knows his stuff.
But it’s still fun to mess around with him.
I got off the hammock and crept forwards. Trevor was literally on his back, his mouth open. He’d begun to snore.
“Hey Trevor, you’re so nice,” I said sweetly.
“Aye,” he murmured in reply.
“In fact, you’re the nicest person I know. I’m so glad you’re my adopted Dad.”
“Aye.”
I giggled, then leaned down and whispered, “So, can I have that last bit of ice cream you’d claimed as yours? After all, you want to give it to me, right?”
“Aye.”
I grinned. “So I can have it?”
“Aye.”
Let’s just say Trevor was ready to throw me in the ocean later when he woke up. As I said, it was too good to resist.


The End

22 comments:

  1. It must be fun to ask someone who will answer yes to every question.
    ----Eve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Great story Marin! I'm curious about the mysterious man... perhaps you should keep an eye on him, a good source told us readers that he may be trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Marin, you are brilliant! :D
    Don't worry Mister Trekker, you can always get more ice cream. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy for you to say, it was my favorite, and where we live in Hawaii doesn't have Ice Cream... it doesn't help it's 12 A.D. So yeah, no ice cream shops. And ice cream doesn't travel well through time...

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry Trevor, it was just too much fun that I couldn't resist... :D

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah. I forgot about that one minor detail...
      I just figured that you could time travel to anywhere and get some. But there goes that idea.... :P
      Well, you could always T. Travel to a place that sells it, then stay 'till you have your fill? :)

      Delete
    4. I suppose... but I'm too lazy to do that. ;)

      Delete
    5. REALLY??? I didn't know that it was possible to be to lazy to go get Ice cream ;)

      Delete
    6. I have a GREAT idea, Trevor!
      Why not take some cows to the island and then build your own ice cream machine! I'm sure you can invent it (or you could go into the future, find out how, and then "invent" it yourself!).
      Interesting story that that idea reminded me of. I read about it in a book of how many of the inventions (or other things, like food items) were invented, sometimes by accident. This particular story is about the ice cream cone.
      There was this guy who was selling ice cream (Mr. Trevor, maybe you should head back to this! :D I don't know the date, though. :C). He, unfortunately, ran out of dishes, but people (probably like myself) still wanted their ice cream. So he went to this other guy who was selling crepes. He-the guy number 1 who was selling ice cream- took the crepes (I'm pretty sure it was crepes, not pancakes), twisted them, put ice cream into them, and kept selling his ice cream. Hurray! Ice cream cones. The dish that sometimes holds even more ice cream and is edible!
      I'm pretty sure that's how the story went. I must have read it about six or seven years ago. Thankfully, I have a good mind for stories. I think my brain must be a bit like a humongous filing cabinet that holds lots of stories, names, and ideas. :D Definitely beneficial for an author/playwright.
      Well, I'd better go. I have to type something out for my Dad!
      God bless, all!
      Ira-Grace
      Psalm 150:4

      Delete
    7. Marin, maybe you could make ice cream for Trevor?
      You always seem to be very sensitive and compassionate, but you are very funny, too!
      You both are.
      Looking forward to the next post!
      Me again, Ira-Grace
      John 3:16

      Delete
  4. I love that ending! Whenever I've thought of it today, its made me smile and laugh!
    This whole story was great!
    But, if I have this somewhat straight, hadn't Marin's dad made Trevor's watch? So is it possible he would also have been able to make a time traveller?
    My sister has been confused by Trevor's "Aye"s, thinking they were the Canadian "eh", which I use a good bit occasionally!
    God bless!
    Ira-Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ira-Grace, I think I can help answer your questions if Mister Trekker and Marin don't mind. :)
      Mister Trekker himself invented the time traveling devise in the watch. He just didn't invent the watch itself. And "Aye" means yes. It's something that Scots say. ;) I personally love that word. :)
      Hope that helps! :)

      Delete
    2. My father was the one who made the watch, but Trevor built the time traveling contraption into it. Thank you for your help, Megs!
      I don't know who the man was. But my father was quite a bit older than the man I saw. Still, it was so strange that they were both Communists (which I personally do not like, I'm a staunch Freedom lover. But it's a fact of life that my father was one) and the man looked like the photo I have of my dad when he was younger...

      Delete
    3. Yes.
      I know what "Aye" means. I Irish Dance, so I like watching documentaries on dancers. A lot of them are from Ireland (obviously), Scotland, and Britain, so sometimes I start speaking with an accent. That's one thing I pick up on sometimes, without noticing. I think I surprise people sometimes when I answer the phone with a strange accent!
      And lots of people seem to think I have an accent. :D After staying with some friends from Pennsylvanian, I apparently picked up their accent, pointed out to me by some people at the beach!
      The Canadian "eh" is used mostly like this. I'll demonstrate.

      "Canada, eh?"
      "What's that like, eh?"
      "Beautiful view, eh?"
      "Are you Canadian, eh?"
      "This 'eh' sure is catching, eh?"

      Kind of like "huh", or "what"!
      Once again, great job, Marin! That ice cream part is SO funny!!!!!!!!!
      Thanks for rescuing her, Trevor. You're a good guy!
      God bless!
      Ira-Grace

      Delete
    4. I find Canadian accents fascinating. Perhaps you could tell us why Canadians say "eh" in the first place? Or is it just one of those things you say? We Czechs have a few strange things about our language, too. Like we're the only people in the world who pronounce every letter in a word when we say something.

      Delete
    5. I'd love to meet you!
      Let me know if you ever plan to visit the Eastern coast of Canada! I'll talk to you LOTS in Canadian "accent". (Funny, we never think we have an accent, until someone who actually has one tells us that we sound funny!!! :D A fact of life. :D)
      Marin, I don't why we say "eh". We just do. I might do some research on it, though. Your question made me think! I guess its just some jargon in our vernacular. I like it. It sets us apart. Maybe someone was too lazy to say "hey?" and just cut it down. Or maybe it is the French.
      Mr. Trevor, did you know that in Spanish the double "r" or the "r" at the beginning of a word is pronounced as a Scottish "R"? I was reviewing that today in my lesson. I think of it a grey kitten purring (I just like grey cats). Purring. It may sound funny, but it may help me a bit. I guess I basically just need to get used to flipping my tongue on the roof of my mouth while making a somewhat "r" sound. I've wanted to tell you about that "R" since seeing it in my book today. I am Scottish, somehow, on my paternal grandmother's side, I know. I'm also about ninth generation Irish, mixed with Norweigan, Northern Irish, English, and probably lots of other stuff! I'm also about fifth generation in where I'm living. Except for my mom's side, which I don't know a lot about in origins.
      Ira-Grace

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic ending. I found a few more spelling errors in there but if this is at all annoying I don't have to bring them up ;) I am a really detailed person so I kinda just notice stuff like that... :) hope you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Bethany, we don't mind. I'm usually too busy to correct Marin's work, so I often just leave it as is and give it a quick glance over. So fire away whenever you see spelling mistakes!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bethany, when you see things just let us know. Trevor often doesn't correct me writing, and I for one can't correct his because I don't have the knowledge of English that he does. :)

      Delete
    3. Okay just wanted to make sure. I know it drives some people nuts when people point out little things like that, while on the other hand some people want to know if there are little spelling errors and stuff. :) just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bother ;)
      Okay so I noticed in the beginning of the story when your describing how Mr. Trevor is with people you wrote "he comes of extremely wild" instead of "off"
      and then a little later on when your on the beach thinking about the rescue and how Mr. Trevor new they weren't going to let you guys just walk away you wrote " That is, they weren’t planning on letting Trevor walking away alive" instead of walk.
      I loved the story and am really looking forwards to the next subject (which I assume we will find out about shortly :)

      Delete

Leave us a comment!