History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Back to the Drawing Board

Ready to head back out West with us? Good, because we’ve got some fun surprises… and dangers… that we need your help with!
Please excuse the weird color of the font, we're not sure what happened. We're working on trying to fix it though!

I may have miscalculated. Just a little.
Marin, on the other hand, didn’t think I’d messed up. She was convinced I’d created a disaster. These things she usually had a good insight on, but I was pretty sure it was just a mistake. She also had a tendency to overreact.
The wilderness surrounded us like a table of brown dirt and scrub brushes, there wasn’t another human being in sight. Sparse trees popped up here and there, perfect places for mountain lions and other sinister creatures to hide in. Overall, the land didn’t look all that promising for a good swim in lake Ontario. Where we were originally headed.
Yeah. I’d miscalculated.
“This isn’t Canada!” Marin exclaimed.Můj bože! To je pustina! Tam je v dohledu žádná voda. Budeme zemřít žízní!
I sighed and rubbed the back of my head. “I don’t understand you when you talk like that.”
For such a timid girl, she sure could be a ball of fire when she freaked out.
Marin whirled to face me, her blue eyes snapping as she placed her hands on her hips. “Forgive me, but České is my native tongue,” she stated crisply. “At least I learned your language.”
I didn’t even want to get into that argument. I knew if I did, we were going to be here for hours. “Fine. Whatever. All I’m saying is stop freaking out. Okay? Sheesh, you’d think I’d blown up Yellowstone the way you’re acting.”
Marin crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. “Technically you did, remember?”
I waved it off. “Past offenses. Now we need to figure out where we are.”
My young friend didn’t argue with that. Instead, she sighed and began to survey the landscape.
My watch confirmed that we had indeed arrived in the year 1880, which was the time we’d aimed to show up in Canada. The only problem was I hadn’t the faintest idea just where we were, hence the slight tiff Marin and I had. She didn’t like the idea of being in a strange land for several days, whereas I didn’t really care. As long as there was a nice lake to go swimming in, I was good.
“Well, since we aren’t sure where we are, why don’t we start walking?” I suggested. “We aren’t supposed to go back to the Island until Tuesday, so we might as well enjoy ourselves until that time. Whatdya say?”
Marin shrugged, her eyes clearly troubled. “I wish 4T wasn’t such a finicky time machine,” she muttered. “How could it get Canada mixed up with this place? It doesn’t look anything like Canada should!”
“How do you know?” I countered as we began to stride through the tall grass and brush. I thought I heard a strange rattling noise, but dismissed it as a cicada. “You’ve never actually been to Canada.”
“Canada has mountains, and is big, and green, and, and, not dry like this!”
“You have no imagination.”
She looked a little sheepish and tossed a blond braid over her shoulder. “All imagination I have came from you, Trevor. I never was very creative. Just practical.”
Rattle, rattle. There was that noise again. I stopped and listened, then waved it off. “Bugs are busy this time of year. I think it’s Summertime.”
At this, Marin looked a little annoyed. “Well, duh. I could have told you that.”
Rattle, rattle. Something was just ‘off’ about that sound. I didn’t like it. I couldn’t recall why, but I knew I’d heard it before and it hadn’t been fun. What was that sound?
“Hey Marin,” I began, “Maybe we shouldn’t-”
Marin stopped dead in her tracks. Her face turned white and she didn’t move a muscle. It was then that I remembered just what that familiar noise was.
Rattlesnake. And it was less than three feet away from Marin.
I froze, my mind reeling as I tried to process what was happening. What to do. What action to take!
“Great Loch,” I whispered. “Great, deep and monster-filled Loch!”
Marin didn’t reply, but I noted tears were beginning to form around her eyes. I had to do something!
The rattler tested the air with his tongue, then rattled his tail again as I inched forward. If I had a gun I could shoot the darn thing, but I didn’t have a single weapon on me. 4T wasn’t going to work because I couldn’t use it for another four days. And if I sent for a future self, he could cause the snake to strike!
So little time and no good options. Every second was a second wasted.
“Trevor,” Marin whimpered.
“Easy Marin,” I warned. “Don’t move. I’m thinking.”
“Trevor, please.
Her voice was desperate. That edge of fear that crept in during the most dire situations was present. She was more than desperate- she was afraid she was going to die.
I hadn’t even heard the footsteps behind me until a click! Sounded in my ear, and the barrel of a rifle poked around my shoulder.
“What on eart-”
“Shuttup, don’t move and hold your breath,” a male voice whispered in my ear. “Kid, stay as still as a log. Take one step and that snake’s going to take a chunk of your leg. Not to mention I might accidently shoot you. Don’t move, okay?”
Marin didn’t move, but she rolled her eyes back to catch a glimpse of the man behind me.
The rifle barrel came forward a little more. The snake coiled, ready to strike. Whirrrr, whirrr, he warned, hissing as he proclaimed his dangerous poison.
Before I had a chance to leap back, the rifle fired, the snake bounced up and Marin was in my arms, sobbing like the little girl she was. I hadn’t moved a muscle, and now I wasn’t sure if I would be able to. The rifle shot rang in my ears and my senses were on overload.
Owww.
I glanced at the man next to me and noted his cowboy attire. Oh, we must be in the West, I decided. He had dark brown hair, blue eyes and a black vest. He was about my height, so probably six-foot-one or so. His face was set in a grim line, and he stared at the still writhing snake.
“You’re lucky I came along when I did,” he grunted. He checked his rifle barrel and then motioned to two other riders behind him. “That snake would have killed your kid there, mister.”
“Thank you,” I breathed.
Marin nodded, still too overcome with the close call to speak.
A girl about Marin’s age and a blond-haired cowboy walked over, their faces full of concern. The girl watched Marin sympathetically, then came over and put her hand on Marin’s shoulder.
“It’s okay, I’ve had more than my fair share of close calls,” she comforted.
Marin looked up, a little embaressed that the strangers were watching her.
“Thank you sir for saving me,” she sniffed, wiping her eyes. She glanced at the dark-haired girl, who was wearing her hair in braids like Marin’s.
The cowboy nodded, then gestured to me. “Mister, you do realize you’re trespassing on our property, right?”
I chuckled and wiped my head, glad to be off the topic of the near death experience and onto something a little less uncomfortable. “No, I didn’t. Real sorry ‘bout that, we’re kinda lost.”
“Kinda?” The blond cowboy raised an eyebrow. “If you’re Scottish like your accent suggests, then you’re more than lost.”
Thank you! For once someone didn’t call me Irish! “That’s right,” I answered. “My, uh, daughter and I are not quite sure where we are.”
The dark-haired girl grinned. “Why, you’re on Carter property!” She announced. “This is the Circle C Ranch. And we’re the Carters!”
I could’ve sworn Marin’s jaw dropped. I know mine did. Marin stared at the girl, then blinked. “You’re a Carter?” she whispered.
“I’m Chad Carter,” Chad introduced himself, shaking my hand. “This is my brother Mitch and our sister Andi.”
Andi nodded to Marin and smiled.
“I’m Trevor Trekker and this is Marin,” I replied. We all exchanged handshakes, though my mind was numb. Carter? Carter? The richest ranchers in California? Well, it confirmed one thing. We were in California. Darn time watch, it got California and Canada mixed up! That was strange.
“Where are your horses, Mr. Trekker?” Mitch asked.
“We lost them,” Marin offered up, casting an admiring glance at Andi. Andi was her hero, this would be like me meeting Einstein!
“You guys really don’t know what you’re doin’, do ya?” Chad muttered, a small grin crossing his face. “You might as well as come back to the ranch with us. We were rounding up a couple of strays from our herd when we chanced upon you.” He picked up the snake and surveyed it. “Looks to me we were just on time.”
“Yeah, no kidding,” I agreed.
“You can ride with me,” Andi offered to Marin. “Taffy can seat two people. Your father can ride the extra horse we brought along, Patch. Mitch’s horse has been acting a little lame lately, so we weren’t sure if he’d need to dismount and ride a different horse. It’s a good thing we brought him along!”
“Thank you for your kindness and for helping us,” Marin said. “We’re pleased to meet you.”
“Yeah,” I winked in Marin’s direction. “I think you just made Marin’s day.”



Come back next week for Part Two! Special Thanks to Susan Marlow for giving us permission to use the Carters in this story.

13 comments:

  1. Whoa! That's fantastic! The Carters of all people! :D
    Great story Mister Trekker, I'll for sure be back for part 2!!
    (oh yeah, and you wrote "Taffy can seat two horses" I'm not sure you actually meant that... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start! I too like the Andi blog, and read it very often. Nice surprise to find the Carters here!
    I did want to tell you something, though, that seems to be a common misconception. Just like the U.S.A., Canada is not made of all one type of scenery! :S Remember, Canada is the second largest country in the world (following Russia), so there are lots of different climates and habitats. Just like all the States aren't hot and tropical (like Hawaii), you can't think all of Canada is green, mountainous, and filled with lakes. We DO have plains and dry places (forest fires go on "Out West" all the time). Also, if you mean that you wanted to go to the province of Ontario within Canada, PLEASE specify. If I say that I'm going to the States, I could be going to MANY locations.
    Sorry if this sounds like a war rant. I'm just a proud Canadian who loves her country, and hates having it referred to as if it were all the same!
    This blog is awesome!
    God bless!
    Ira-Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you ever going to do adventures from Canada or Bible time?
    Cool story so far.Where are Trevor and Marian stationed at?
    Some parts of Canada are flat and some are not.I live in Canada on P.E.I. We cross over to New Brunswick on the confederation bridge and than you can go across to Maine at a border
    ---Eve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments Eve and Ira-Grace, I am aware that Canada is not one scenery. Been there many times myself! Hawaii is the same way, you are correct. But my assistant Marin had never been to Canada except for the last time we went to Ontario, and due to the fact she's from a different time period (and for that matter, she'd never traveled ten miles out of her own town in Czechoslovakia until I came around!) She's convinced all of Canada looks the same, as well as Russia all looks the same... etc, etc, etc. ;) I'm working on her with that. For the sake of the story though, I just left her perspective in. :)
      Thanks for clarifying that for our readers!

      Delete
    2. Correction: I've never been to Canada period. :) You just showed me pictures of Ontario and how we were going to have a blast there, remember? That's how you got me to come along in the first place.
      Sorry to offend you two, Ira-Grace and Eve, I didn't know any better I guess. :) Thanks for commenting, we hope you comment some more soon!

      Delete
    3. Oh, duh. *Does a face-palm* I knew that. ;)

      Delete
    4. I'm not offended! Just wanted to clear that up! So many people from the States seem to think that Canada is just like Alaska, even when some states are right next to the border! Florida…now people there had no real idea where I live! Like…"Hey, I know this person, and they live in Canada! Do you know them?" Duh!
      Hope you DO get to go to Ontario sometime, Marin, and enjoy it! I don't think that rattlesnakes run rampant there! :D
      Come again, Trevor. Maybe we'll meet. ;D
      God bless!
      Ira-Grace

      Delete
  4. Wow. I didn't see that coming. You write super fun stories, and I always look forward to reading them!
    ~ JT

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was totally unexpected. I love it can't wait till next week. Thanks Mr. Trekker and Marin.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment!