History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Unknown: Part Four

Back at the military base, the one that our heroes have no idea exists or what they have planned...

The Major was expecting the phone call. He knew it would come.
He tapped his fingers on the desk and watched the clock tick by. He's going to call any minute now, he thought glumly.
Still, the phone did not ring.
He'd been at the desk for twenty-five minutes. His failure to get Preposition TTGS up and going was apparent by the time graph flashing on his screen, proving that Trevor Trekker had once more changed history.
The big man was not going to be happy about this.
His intercom buzzed and he absent mindedly hit the response button. "Major here, what do you want?"
"Sir." It was the guard at the hallway entrance. "There is a man here to see you." A pause, then, "He's got something important to discuss with you. Should I let him in?"
"I don't have time for this," the Major snapped.
"But sir," the guard stammered on the other end. "He as credentials."
Credentials or not, I do-not-have-time-for-this, he growled inwardly. Nothing he could do about it. No doubt it was his superior officer Colonel Steiner, checking on his progress on Project Thirty-Six. He's not going to enjoy this report. 
The Major sighed. "Fine, send him in."
"Will do, sir."
He leaned back in his chair and ran his fingers through his hair. If it is Colonel Steiner, what if the Big Man calls in? What do I do then? Yes, the CIA was authorized to find Trevor and arrest him. Yes, the President had agreed Trevor and Marin were dangerous, changing history and nobody knowing when it happened. But if they knew about the other figure he was reporting to...
"Hello Timothy."
He froze, his eyes widened. The Major's heart began to pound against his chest and he swallowed. It can't be. He'd only heard the voice over the phone, he'd never actually met him in person. But he'd used his real name-
Major Timothy slowly looked up and stared into the eyes of a medium height man with a pleasant smile and a dangerous look in his green eyes. "It's nice to finally meet," he said in an almost cheerful manner. "I came stateside yesterday and thought I'd come to see you." He gestured to a chair. "Mind if I sit down?"
"No, no! I mean, no, of course not," Timothy stammered. He leapt up and offered the guest chair to the light blond-haired man. "Please, sit down."
He needed to sit down. His mind was having trouble processing what was happening, who was even now sitting in the chair across from his desk. Him. The big man, the guy pulling all the strings. The one who knew his name. Who knew what he'd done.
"I'm glad I surprised you, I thought it would be jolly good fun to come unannounced," he said once he was seated, his eyes glinting as he smirked. "I am most pleased by your reaction."
Major Timothy sunk into his chair and clasped his hands on the handles. "How? Why?" he managed. "Why are you here?"
Once more a cat-like grinned cross his face, and he laughed. "I like how you get right to the point, Timothy." He drew out the Major's name for emphasis. "It never ceases to amaze me how a man such as yourself could let an idiot like Trekker slip through your fingers countless times." Now all the playfulness was gone, and in its place was pure evil. His eyes no longer glimmered, they snapped like a winter's cold spell. His face was etched in a frown as he leaned forward. He tapped the computer screen of Timothy's laptop. "You read the graph, yes?"
He could only nod.
"Then you can see that Trekker has done it once more," the blond-haired man snapped. "TTGS never lies. The timeline has wavered and bent, whatever you did to try and change Gettysburg didn't work. They stopped it. Just like the collapse of the dam, and the attempt to have the crooked deputy round them. My patience is running thin, Major Timothy. And you're not helping the situation."
"Please," Timothy stammered, "Give me another try at it. I'm doing the best I can, I want to catch him as much as you do."
He cocked an eyebrow and settled back in his seat. "Do you? Or is your conscience getting to you?" he snarled.
"What? No! I am doing everything I can, I'm using the device like you told me, I've followed all the instructions. If Trevor realizes what he has then-"
"Then your career is over, as well as a good chunk of the CIA agents you've paid off," he finished. "I know. That's why I sought you out for this job. You're in a bad position, Timothy. Either Trevor will spill the beans on who really killed Harriet," he paused, then lowered his voice, "or I will." Standing up, he scowled at the Major, then hissed, "You have one more chance to catch him in the act. TTGS tracked them to the old West. I expect you to catch them this time. Do not fail me."
He turned around and left, leaving Timothy in a state of shock and numbness. One thing was for sure- if he didn't catch the time traveler and his assistant this time around, he would wind up dead. Just like the others.

Part Five to come at the end of August.

8 comments:

  1. Uh oh. This seems like a fishy operation...
    ~ JT

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is getting more and more interesting by the minute!
    Holy Smokes! Mister Trekker, you and Marin had better be really careful on your adventures, you never know what's going to happen next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary!!! I hope everything goes okay out west this month. Mr. Trevor and Marin, you had better watch your back carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooo! This gave me the shivers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ми переможемо, наша місія буде виконана. Ви можете розраховувати на це. Ми будемо ловити Тревора і його помічника.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! This is very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment!